Whether you’re in the market for a new home or working on renovating your current one, choosing the right pet-friendly flooring as a pet owner requires some important considerations. Finding flooring that both suits your personal style and accommodates your animals might seem like a challenge, but there are plenty of options that will work for everyone.
If you’re wondering how to choose new flooring that aligns with your style and can also withstand the wear and tear that comes with owning dogs, we have the tips!
What to Consider
It’s entirely possible to find floors that support the lifestyle of your dog while still retaining their beauty — you just need to know what to look for. The best option will ultimately depend on the kind of dog you have but there are a few main considerations to keep in mind.
- Scratch resistance: Dogs can do a lot of damage with their nails, so scratch resistance is an important factor to look out for when comparing different floor materials.
- Water and stain resistance: If your pup isn’t potty trained or is more prone to accidents and spills, finding floors that won’t easily ruin or stain will keep them looking pristine for the long haul.
- Upkeep: Choosing floors that aren’t a hassle to maintain will make your life easier as a dog owner.
- Comfort and traction: If you’re like most dog owners, you want your pets to be comfortable and safe. Different floor types offer varying levels of comfort and traction for your dogs.
- Cost: Your floors are a significant part of your home, and it’s important to find an option that will provide a good return on your investment while still meeting the needs of your budget.
Keeping these factors in mind will help you narrow down all the flooring options you have to choose from. Once you know what to look for, read on to compare some of the best dog-friendly flooring options and decide on a floor type that works best for both you and your dog.
Best Dog-Friendly Flooring Options
Vinyl flooring is durable and cost-effective, making it a good choice of material for homeowners with pets. A range of different options, from commercial grade vinyl to antimicrobial vinyl, are available. This gives you more options when choosing the best flooring for your dog(s).
- Waterproof vinyl and/or water resistant vinyl are easy to clean
- Mark resistant vinyl and Lifeproof vinyl flooring can stand up to larger, active pets
- Scratch resistant vinyl and stain resistant vinyl options are also available
- Comfortable and quiet underfoot
- Skid resistant vinyl is excellent for older pets
- Available in many different looks including vinyl plank flooring designs that mimic natural stone and wood
- Cool and comfortable for dogs
- Works with radiant heating systems
Durable and truly timeless, porcelain tile, ceramic tile and stone tile have long been a go-to options for pet owners. Here’s why it’s some of the best flooring for dogs:
- Tile is a durable, long-life material
- Waterproof or water resistant and scratch resistant
- Tile offers timeless style
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Cool tile can feel good on your pet’s paws
Laminate flooring stands up against scratches and stains, making it great for active pets. It’s also easy to maintain for most homeowners, putting it near the top when it comes to the best flooring for dogs.
- Cost-effective for big and small spaces
- Scratch resistant laminate is tough and durable
- Resists stains and markings from messes
- Easy to clean with minimal effort
- Heated laminate can be comfortable in colder climates
Engineered hardwood flooring provides a special mix of durability and style few other materials can offer. If you love the look of hardwood, engineered hardwood may be the best flooring for dogs in busy, high-traffic spaces.
- Stylish look may improve your home’s resale value
- Offers some scratch and water protection
- Affordable compared to solid hardwood
Solid hardwood flooring is an elegant material that breathes new life into any interior design scheme. While it can work for some homes, it may not be the best flooring for dogs depending on your lifestyle.
- Timeless style looks great and adds value to your home
- Lasts for many years in the right home environment
- Waterproof hardwood options provide some moisture protection
Contact Designer Wood Flooring
Ready to install new floors in your home or office? Contact us today for a free quote.