Luxury vinyl plank flooring is a high-tech surface that doesn’t have too many cons. With more benefits than drawbacks, you can’t go wrong installing this flooring material in any room of your home.
Not only is it comfortable and beautiful, it’s durable and even waterproof. This artificial wood flooring gives you the great look without the high price. Thanks to the latest developments in embossing techniques and 3D printing, LVP is often mistaken for hardwood flooring.
Vinyl plank flooring, a synthetic material comprised of several different layers, comes in plank form like hardwood but it’s made up of PVC.
LVP has three layers:
- A core or base layer: This provides a foundation, and is either rigid or flexible.
- A pattern or design layer: This is what gives the floor its look and feel, mimicking anything from tile to natural wood to stone.
- A wear or surface layer: This transparent layer protects the vinyl from damage such as UV fading.
Pros of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
From easy maintenance to scratch resistance, there are many advantages of LVP. Here’s a close look of the pros.
- Water resistance: Because it’s made of plastic, luxury vinyl plank flooring is water resistant and even waterproof in some cases. This makes it a great addition for a bathroom or mudroom.
- Scratch resistance: While hardwood shows dents and dings after a while, vinyl plank has an ultra-durable wear layer that keeps this kind of damage at bay.
- Odor and spill resistance: Due to its non-porous surface, LVP won’t absorb spills and odors. So, if you spill a beverage or Fido pees on the floor, you can just wipe up the mess and move on with your life.
- Easy maintenance and cleaning: Vinyl plank flooring doesn’t need the high maintenance and cleaning regimens that hardwood does. Just a quick mop and vacuum here and there are all that is needed to keep your floors looking great.
- Resemblance to other materials: LVP can mimic the look of natural stone, hardwood and even tile, and comes in a variety of textures, styles and colors.
- Cost efficient: LVP is more affordable than other flooring types. For example, it costs between $1 and $8 per square foot compared with $15 and up with hardwood.
- Comfort: This type of flooring is very shock absorbent, which means it’s easy on your joints and feels comfortable underfoot.
Cons of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
As with all types of flooring, there are some disadvantages to installing LVP.
- You can’t repair it: If damage occurs, you can’t repair the plank — you have to replace the whole thing.
- May discolor: If your vinyl plank flooring gets a lot of direct sunlight, it may fade or discolor over time.
- May emit VOCs: LVP can emit harmful gases called volatile organic compounds into the air, leading to respiratory allergies.
As you can see, there are far more positives than negatives when it comes to installing luxury vinyl plank flooring!
Contact Designer Wood Flooring
If you’re interested in the benefits of luxury vinyl plank floors for your San Antonio home, get a free quote and consultation when you contact us today.